The Montessori educational method supports and addresses the nature of the child. The nature of the child is not a theoretical construct, but it is based upon Maria Montessori's detailed and lengthy observation of the child.
Maria Montessori believed that all children are born intelligent, they simply learn in different ways and progress at their own pace. The Montessori approach to education is consciously designed to recognize and address different learning styles, helping students learn to study most effectively.
Based upon scientific observations Dr. Montessori came to understand the inner nature of the child:
- The child is a dynamic, curious person that has an inner drive to discover the world.
- The child comes to know the world through the senses.
- The child has an inner curriculum.
- The child has an inner discipline.
- The child learns that which is of personal interest.
- The child repeats activities until they are fully mastered.
- The child is naturally orderly and focused.